Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has announced, via an Information Memorandum, the auction for Next Generation Mobile Services (NGMS) spectrum (3G/4G) to be held on May 16, 2017.
The auction of spectrum will be in the 1800 MHz range, to grant the successful bidders the right to establish, maintain and operate 3G/4G network and to provide services across the country. The IM which can be accessed on the PTA website lays out the rules, process, planned timetable and additional information for participation in the NGMSA.
The timeline laid out for the auction of the spectrum, according to the Information Memorandum, is as follows:
The IM published by PTA indicated below timeline for the auction of spectrum:
- April 19th: Consultation Period ends
- April 24th: Notification of changes to the NGMSA rules and procedures (if any)
- April 28th: Information Session for prospective bidders
- May 5th – 4PM Pakistan Time: Deadline for prospective applicants to submit application forms with pre-bid deposits
- May 9th: PTA to announce qualified applicants
- May 11th: Information package containing confidential information and instructions to
participate in the auction is provided to qualified applicants
- May 12th: Mock Auction
- May 16th: The auction day
Base price for 2×10 MHz block in 1800MHz is set at USD 295 Million. The license for spectrum awarded in the NGMSA provides exclusive right for use of the frequencies assigned to that operator. The services permitted are governed by each specific license.
New spectrum will be for 14 telecom regions of Pakistan, excluding AJK Gilgit-Baltistan (GB) while the base price for the spectrum is set at $295 million. New as well as current operators can bid for the spectrum.
The successful bidder will be given a license to establish, maintain and operate a technology neutral network and offer licensed services in Pakistan excluding AJ&K and GB to consumers for meeting the roll out and quality of services (QoS) obligations.
For more information on the spectrum, stay tuned to IDG & Broadband Gazette for coverage.